Oxygen therapy is used by people with severe respiratory conditions, to provide air that contains more oxygen than normal. Specialist equipment (which can include cylinders and portable units) is used to pipe medical oxygen to the patient through either a nasal cannula or face mask.
However, the addition of concentrated oxygen into a room or surrounding environment will greatly increase the intensity of a fire should one start.
If someone you care for uses oxygen:
- Make sure oxygen equipment is stored safely out of direct sunlight, well ventilated, always dry and away from heat sources.
- Never smoke – or allow the person being cared for to smoke – whilst they are using oxygen equipment. This includes e-cigarettes (vapes).
- Don’t use matches or any naked flame such as candles, incense sticks or oil burners in the same room as oxygen equipment
- Keep the oxygen supply well away from gas stoves, portable or open fires.
- Make sure oxygen is turned off when not in use.
- Contact your oxygen supplier for further guidance.
- Click here for our downloadable advice leaflet Oxygen Safety.
We offer free Safe & Well visits, where we come to the home at a convenient time to see what we can do together to make you or the person you care for safer. We will fit free smoke alarms where required.
To request a free Safe and Well Visit, please call 0800 038 2323 or click here.