Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

16th December, 2018 - 11:56: 11:56 Crews from Swindon and Stratton were mobilised to alarms soundin...Read more

16th December, 2018 - 08:18: 08:18 A crew from Poole was mobilised to alarms sounding at a Resident...Read more

15th December, 2018 - 2.25pm: Trowbridge- Crews from Trowbridge and Bradford on Avon attended report...Read more

15th December, 2018 - 1.45pm: Winterborne Clenston- A crew from Blandford attended a car fire in Win...Read more

15th December, 2018 - 12.39pm: West Ashton- Crews from Trowbridge and Westbury attended a road traffi...Read more

15th December, 2018 - 8.03am: Weymouth- A crew from Weymouth attended a bus shelter on fire on King ...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 5.07pm: One pump from Stratton St. Margaret was mobilised to a report of a roa...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 1:16pm: At 13:16 fire control took a 999 call to reports of smoke in a propert...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 11:29am: At 11:29 fire control took a 999 call to reports of a car that had gon...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 09:41am: At 09:41 fire control took a 999 call to reports of alarms sounding an...Read more

Warning issued after two recycling site fires


Date: 24th July, 2018

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people to be careful about what they throw away during this hot, dry spell of weather.

Two recycling sites suffered significant fires yesterday (23 July) and, while the causes are unlikely to be established because of the scale of the incidents, the Service knows from experience that such blazes often start because of something that has been disposed of.

Area Manager Craig Baker said: “We often see fires at recycling centres in the summer, as people get rid of disposable barbecues, used barbecue ashes and other high risk rubbish. Barbecues should always be completely cold before being thrown away and, ideally, the used coals should be drenched in water as well. Equally, where there is open land, we would urge people not to have camp fires and to be careful when disposing of cigarettes.”

A warning has been issued to people in the Poole and Bournemouth areas that they could be affected by smoke still rising from a fire that broke out at Canford Heath last night.

Fire crews were called to the Canford Recycling Centre at Arena Way, Poole at 9.42pm and found a large single storey building used for storing waste well alight. At the height of the blaze, ten fire engines, three water carriers and other support appliances were in attendance.

Mr Baker said: “Although the fire is now under control, and we have scaled back our attendance, it is likely to be a couple of days before it has burnt out completely. There is still a lot of smoke rising from the site so local residents may want to keep doors and windows closed, especially if they have a pre-existing respiratory condition.”

Yesterday afternoon, eight fire crews were called to Weymouth household waste recycling centre in Lodmoor Way, where around four hectares of waste ground and reed beds were alight.

The police helicopter attended at scene and assisted crews greatly by identifying how the fire was spreading and where to focus firefighting actions.

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: