Date: 6th June, 2020
Firefighters were called to reports of a property fire in a commercial premises on Station Road, near Ashley Cross, Poole this morning at 8am. At the height of the incident five fire engines from Westbourne, Poole (x3), Springbourne and Redhill Park fire stations (approx. 35 firefighters) attended this incident. Crews used ten sets of breathing apparatus, three hose reels and two main lines to extinguish a fire in the loft space of a commercial premises. The residential flats above the commercial premises were affected by smoke and were evacuated. Firefighters led one female to safety. At this stage we believe the cause of the fire to be accidental, a possible electrical fault. However, a fire investigation at the scene is continuing.
Station Manager Dan Perrett, who attended this incident said: “Thankfully the smoke alarms within the residential properties activated and alerted the residents to the fire. Most were able to self-evacuate but one female required assistance from the Service. The fire damage is limited to the commercial premises but there is smoke damage to the residential properties and we are working with our partners to ensure that the residents are able to return home safely and the commercial premises is able to resume business as soon as possible.
“This is a very good example of why we continue to remind people to ensure they have working smoke alarms within their homes that are tested and maintained properly. More information about home safety and smoke alarms can be found here.”