Coming soon! We will be opening recruitment for wholetime firefighters in October 2020. Click here to see how much you know about the role of a firefighter.
Do you have what we need?
If you think you can’t be a firefighter because you don’t meet the stereotype you have in your head, think again! If you care about the safety of others and want to be part of the community, working to help keep communities safe, this could be the job for you.
Do you have these characteristics?
- Are you a role model who leads by example?
- Are you a team player?
- Want to work within your community and make a difference?
- Looking for a challenging and rewarding career?
- Do you have respect for diversity, with a fair and ethical approach?
- Do you have physical and mental strength?
- Are you calm under pressure, with the ability to work outside your comfort zone?
- Can you stay focused and achieve a goal under stressful emergency situations?
- Do you have the drive, ability and initiative to make a positive personal impact?
- Are you able to work at height and in dark confined spaces?
Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to putting equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of everything we do. We welcome applications from all members of our community and encourage those from under-represented groups to join us.
To support our inclusive approach, we carry out various activities to positively attract those from under-represented groups such as women and people from black and minority ethnic communities to see that becoming a firefighter could be the career for them. By diversifying our workforce, we will gain the benefits that this brings in terms of reflecting our community, a wider variety of skills, creativity, innovation, and an increased cultural insight into the communities we serve.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria to be able to apply for the role of firefighter:
- Be over the age of 17 years and six months at the closing date for applications (must be 18 years or older at the point of employment);
- Have the right to work in the UK;
- Not have any unspent criminal convictions;
- Not have any court judgements outstanding against them;
- Hold a full valid driving licence; and
- Be a confident swimmer and be able to swim 100 meters unaided.
As well as the above criteria, candidates will need to meet the required fitness standards, medical health check and eyesight standards for entry.
Want to start getting ready?
You can start preparing for the fitness and practical job-related tests now with our 12-week fitness plan. Click here to access the fitness plan and see more information about the fitness requirements.
Outline of process and timescales
|October 2020||registration of interest and online tests|
|November 2020||those successful following the online tests will be invited to complete an application|
|November and December 2020||fitness assessments and document checks|
|January 2021||practical and verification testing|
|February and March 2021||interviews and presentations|
|April 2021||eyesight tests and medicals|
|April/May 2021 onwards||appointments made|
The above timeline may be subject to variation and there may be additional assessments required, depending on the number of applications received.
Where will the new jobs be based?
We are recruiting to our wholetime fire stations, which are as follows (use the links to find out more about each): Chippenham, Christchurch, Ferndown, Poole, Redhill Park, Salisbury, Springbourne, Stratton, Swindon, Trowbridge, Westbourne, Westlea and Weymouth.
What happens next?
We will be holding virtual events in August and September to give you more information and answer any questions you have. More detailed information about what each stage of the process involves will be added to this website nearer the time – so keep a look out! You can also follow us on social media for the latest updates - @DWFireRescue on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. However, if you have an urgent enquiry, please email us at [email protected]