As part of the selection process, we will assess your fitness and strength at a practical assessment day held at whichever of our training centres is closest to you.
At the practical assessment day, you will be asked to undertake a range of practical tests and you will need to pass them in order to proceed to the next stage.
A brief explanation of each test is given below. At the end of the day, you will be informed of your results and given feedback about your performance.
- Ladder climb and ladder lift – to assess your upper and lower body strength, grip, co-ordination, confidence at heights and the ability to follow instructions.
- Casualty evacuation – assesses upper and lower body strength and co-ordination.
- Breathing apparatus in enclosed space – assesses confidence, agility and stamina and identifies any claustrophobic tendencies.
- Equipment assembly – this is a physical test of manual dexterity.
- Equipment carry – assesses upper and lower body strength, co-ordination and stamina.
Our colleagues at Cheshire FRS have put together a useful video showing what each test involves.
Next stage: Interview