Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

18th January, 2020 - 1:50am: At 1.50am this morning (18th January) firefighters were cal...Read more

16th January, 2020 - 19:04: A bus was found to be alight in the West Wilts Trading Estate. Crews f...Read more

16th January, 2020 - 11:41am: Oaksey, Malmesbury - A crew from Malmesbury rescued two adults from th...Read more

16th January, 2020 - 12:20pm: A36 Petersfinger - A crew from Salisbury attended a small fire involvi...Read more

16th January, 2020 - 02:23 AM : A crew have extinguished a small fire involving a refuse bin this morn...Read more

15th January, 2020 - 11:27 PM : 2 Appliances and an Officer are in attendance at an external flooding ...Read more

15th January, 2020 - 10:39 PM : 2 Appliances attended a fire involving a fridge freezer in the kitchen...Read more

15th January, 2020 - 9:37 PM : A crew attended a chip pan fire that was out on arrival, the residents...Read more

15th January, 2020 - 9:03 PM : Crews attended a report of a man that had driven his van into floodwat...Read more

15th January, 2020 - 9:29 PM : Whilst on route to incident involving a driver stuck in flood water cr...Read more

Working smoke alarm in garage saves house from fire


Date: 16th July, 2019

A Salisbury family escaped a fire at their home this evening (15 July) with no injuries because they had working smoke alarms.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service was called to an address in Attwood Road, Salisbury after a fire in the garage was reported at 19:26.

Three crews attended, two from Salisbury and one from Wilton fire stations. The fire which started due to a faulty electrical item was well alight on arrival and crews quickly contained the fire to the garage, using 1 hose reel jet, one 45mm jet and 2 firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.

GM Katie Cornhill said “It became apparent at the debrief that the working smoke alarms within the garage had alerted the family to safety, and without this the outcome could have been far worse. This acts as a reminder to test your smoke alarms regularly and have an escape plan in case of fire.”

She added “We would always advise people to ensure electrical equipment is checked prior to use and removed from service if it shows any signs of a fault.  Also, avoid daisy chaining extension leads and ensure electrical equipment is correctly fused.”

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service offer free safe and well advice to local residents, and those who qualify can receive a home visit from a safe and well advisor, which can include fitting smoke alarms where appropriate. To apply call 0800 038 2323 or visit dwfire.org.uk

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: