Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

16th February, 2020 - 1:32pm: Swindon crew were mobilised to flooding of several properties. Good pr...Read more

16th February, 2020 - 12:12pm: We were called to assist a private property that were making their own...Read more

16th February, 2020 - 09:43am: A member of public made an emergency call as they had witnessed two sm...Read more

13th February, 2020 - 10.55am: 1) Driver and vehicle stuck in flood water Matchams Lane, Hurn - advic...Read more

14th February, 2020 - 7:02 PM : An Officer and the aerial platform from Swindon attended a dangerous s...Read more

14th February, 2020 - 7:26 PM : Crews have extinguished a kitchen fire involving a microwave oven usin...Read more

14th February, 2020 - 0924: One tipper lorry containing soil was on its side. BT cable involved an...Read more

14th February, 2020 - 2.31am: Two Crews and aerial appliance from Swindon and a further appliance fr...Read more

13th February, 2020 - 9.53pm: We were called to a report of a fire where there was no confirmation t...Read more

13th February, 2020 - 9.36pm: A crew from Poole were mobilised to the railway station car park in Po...Read more

Swindon residents reminded to take care when cooking


Date: 29th June, 2017

Swindon residents are being reminded to take care when cooking, after more than half of all accidental fires in the town last year started in the kitchen.

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service attended 130 accidental fires in the home during 2016-17 – and 66 of these were directly attributed to cooking.

Group Manager Glyn Moody, Deputy Area Commander for Swindon, said: “In the majority of cases, these fires were down to the occupier being distracted – for example, by other family members or answering the telephone – or having consumed alcohol. Fortunately, there were working smoke alarms in all but ten of the homes, which gave early warning of the fires.”

He added: “We carried out Safe & Well visits at those ten properties following the incidents, which included fitting smoke alarms and advising the occupants on how best to prevent further fires in the future.”

Amongst the top tips for kitchen safety are:

To request a free Safe & Well visit, or to find out more information about being safe at home, visit www.dwfire.org.uk

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: