Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

20th February, 2019 - 3.02pm: Swindon - One crew from the Stratton fire station were mobilised to mu...Read more

20th February, 2019 - 6.57am: Swindon - Crews from the Westlea and Swindon fire stations were mobili...Read more

20th February, 2019 - 06:34: At 06:34 we received a call reporting a road traffic collision on the ...Read more

19th February, 2019 - 22:26: At 22:26 we received a call reporting a house fire in St Margaret's Av...Read more

19th February, 2019 - 16:33: 16:33 A crew from Salisbury was mobilised to alarms sounding at a Dome...Read more

19th February, 2019 - 11:49: 11:49 A crew from Corsham was mobilised to alarms actuating at a Publi...Read more

19th February, 2019 - 09:47: 09:47 A crew from Swanage was mobilised to alarms sounding at a Reside...Read more

19th February, 2019 - 6.04am: Swindon- Two crews from Stratton were mobilised to a road traffic coll...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 3:35pm: One crew from Swindon fire station attending a residential premises in...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 3:13pm: Three crews from Poole fire station together with the aerial ladder pl...Read more

Sprinklers prevent serious fire


Date: 13th June, 2017

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is again promoting the installation of automatic fire sprinklers in residential properties.

A fire that broke out in a flat in Ashley Road, Poole earlier this month was extinguished when the sprinkler system activated, and the fire damage was so contained, the occupier was able to move back into their home the next day.

Group Manager Seth Why, Head of Fire Safety, said: “This was a fire that started late at night, and could have resulted in a loss of life had the alarm not been raised. Because of the quick activation of sprinklers, not only did the occupier escape unharmed, the damage to the flat was minimal.”

He added: “Automatic sprinkler systems are one of the best ways to suppress a fire at the earliest opportunity. On this occasion, only one fire crew from Westbourne was required to attend, and no further firefighting was needed as the single sprinkler head had extinguished the fire, which was caused by a lit candle being left on a windowsill before igniting material draped over the window.”

The Fire and Rescue Service supports developers and works with local authority building control departments to promote the use of sprinklers where possible. There is currently no legislative requirement for sprinkler systems in commercial or residential premises, so the Service works with other organisations, including the National Fire Sprinkler Network, to promote sprinklers for both new builds and retro-fitting.

For more information, please visit www.dwfire.org.uk/sprinklers

 

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: