Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

19th December, 2018 - 11:36: A retained fire crew from Poole Fire Station were alerted to a car ali...Read more

18th December, 2018 - 22:05: 22:05 A crew from Swindon was mobilised to a small fire involving a ru...Read more

18th December, 2018 - 21:59: 21:59 A crew from Salisbury was mobilised to alarms sounding at a Resi...Read more

18th December, 2018 - 20:48: 20:48 A crew from Verwood was mobilised to alarms actuating a a Public...Read more

18th December, 2018 - 20:42: 20:42 A crew from Dorchester was mobilised to reports of a vehicle fir...Read more

18th December, 2018 - 19:55: 19:55 A  crew from Chippenham was mobilised to alarms sounding at a Re...Read more

18th December, 2018 - 19:35: 19:35 A crew from Ludgershall was mobilised to alarms sounding at a Do...Read more

17th December, 2018 - 5.41pm: Swindon- Crews from Westlea and Swindon attended a domestic fire on Sa...Read more

16th December, 2018 - 16:04: 16:04 A crew from Chippenham was mobilised to reports of a Chimney fir...Read more

16th December, 2018 - 15:07: 15:07 A crew from Swindon was mobilised to alarms actuating at a Resid...Read more

Increased chimney fires from January to March spark warning in Wiltshire and Dorset


Date: 20th February, 2017

It usually takes place before the first fire of the season is lit, but insurer NFU Mutual is warning homeowners in Wiltshire and Dorset who use stoves and open fires frequently to sweep their chimney twice a year to prevent a house fire.

Latest figures from NFU Mutual show that over the past three years, half of chimney fire claims in Dorset and Wiltshire were made between January and March.

Anna Matthews, Home Insurance Specialist at NFU Mutual in Chippenham, said: “As the number of fires being lit over a prolonged period increases so too does the risk of chimney fires. The rise in fires from January to March highlights that not only should a flue or chimney be swept before the first fire of the season, but if an open fire or wood burning stove is frequently used then it should be swept again during the colder months.

“Fire can devastate lives and properties so it’s important people protect themselves through the regular inspection and cleaning of chimneys and flues.”

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service Rural Safety Crew Manager, Paul Noke added: “During the colder months of winter and early spring, we attend numerous chimney fires across both counties, many of which can be avoided through regular cleaning and maintenance. The value of ensuring your chimneys are regularly swept and cleaned professionally, cannot be underestimated. It’s always worth remembering that the best way to stop a fire is to not have one in the first place.”

Over the last three years, NFU Mutual has paid out over £6 million nationally in chimney fire claims.

The insurer has warned that wood burning or multi fuel stoves, which reach high temperatures, can increase the risk of fire, particularly with thatched properties, as they send more live sparks and embers out of the chimney. Homeowners should also ensure that they only burn seasoned hardwood.

While thatched homes are no more likely to suffer a fire than homes with a conventional roof, if a thatched roof does ignite the fire is very difficult to control and the results can be devastating.

“Many homeowners do not appreciate the costs of re-building a property, particularly if it is listed, so it is important that people check their buildings and contents are properly insured should a fire occur,” Anna Matthews continued.

NFU Mutual has provided a checklist to help keep your chimney in check:

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: