Date: 25th May, 2018
Caravan owners are being encouraged to install smoke alarms and check them regularly after a caravan fire at a holiday park in Holton Heath yesterday (24/05/2018).
Four fire engines, from Wareham, Poole (x2) and Hamworthy attended the blaze and used hose reels and breathing apparatus to extinguish it.
Station Manager Stuart Granger, who attended the incident said: “Fortunately, no one was hurt on this occasion, but if the fire had happened a few hours earlier the outcome may have been very different. The caravan where the fire started and two others were totally destroyed.
Caravans have limited escape options and as they are made of lightweight and highly combustible fittings, a fire can spread very quickly. The warning a working smoke alarm gives can mean the difference between life and death. They are designed to detect fire in its early stages and can give you those precious few moments to get out safely.
If you live in or use a caravan remember to follow basic fire safety precautions:
- Fit a smoke detector in your caravan – smoke alarms are the first line of defence against fire. Find out about firefighting arrangements on the site.
- Keep a torch handy for emergencies – do not use a lit candle.
- Maintain a safe distance between caravans – including awnings.
- Keep the caravan ventilated and don’t block up air vents – it could be fatal.
- Before going to bed or leaving the caravan, turn off all appliances.
- Check all gas fittings. Use arrester valves on gas bottles and make sure your home is adequately ventilated.
Stuart added: “I’d like to remind caravan users that maintaining a safe distance between caravans – including awnings – is really important as this can reduce the risk of a fire spreading. Crews from Wareham have been out this morning visiting caravan and holiday parks in the local area to remind residents of these important safety precautions.”