Date: 10th July, 2017
Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is still at the scene of a significant fire by the A303 in Chicklade.
Firefighters were called to deal with a blaze affecting a single storey building, used as a shop and café, at 3.43pm today (10 July). The adjacent petrol station is unaffected.
The A303 was completely closed for some time; the westbound carriageway has now been reopened, and it is hoped to reopen the eastbound side by midnight.
Although there was a large smoke plume in the early stages of the incident, that is no longer the case, and warnings to local residents to keep doors and windows closed as a precaution have now been lifted.
About half of the affected building, including its roof, has been severely damaged by the fire, which is now contained. As such, the Service attendance is being scaled back to six fire appliances, and it is expected to reduce this even further in the next couple of hours.
No injuries have been reported, and the cause of the fire will be investigated once it is safe to do so.