Information for Partner Agencies such as Social Services, NHS, Police, Domiciliary Care Agencies and so on.
Click here for information about S.A.I.L.
There have been some changes to the services Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service are able to provide.
Whilst we would like to offer everyone a Safe and Well Visit, circumstances within our team have changed and we need to prioritise those most at risk from fire.
Statistically we know that those most at risk, fall into several categories such as being over the age of 65, living alone, or having a disability, and so on.
With the need to prioritise those most at risk, from 1st April 2023, all referrals from partner agencies should be made via our website where a series of questions will need to be completed to determine the individual’s fire risk, behaviours, and lifestyle factors. If your client qualifies, they will automatically be referred for a Safe & Well visit. For any clients who do not qualify, our website has comprehensive fire safety information that all members of the public can access, as well as information for businesses and for those within a care profession.
- The Safe and Well Team operate during normal office hours only.
- We do not work weekends or bank holidays.
- We are a very busy team covering very large areas.
- Due to the large volume of referrals that we receive, it can take up to 10 weeks for a visit to take place.
What we cannot support you or your clients with:
- Clutter and hoarding clearance,
- Cleaning of properties,
- Advising on structural problems, damp, building regulations,
- Support in rehousing,
- Helping in disputes with landlords or Housing Associations,
- Involvement in neighbourly disputes or disagreements,
- We will not carry out visits in properties without the occupier’s knowledge,
- We will not visit a property where the occupier is not at home,
- We cannot write risk assessments for occupants or carers working within the home,
- We cannot complete reports or feedback on each visit that is carried out.
- We cannot repair or troubleshoot mains wired detection/careline systems.
What we can support you and your clients with:
- Home fire safety advice covering core topics such as; general home fire safety, clutter and hoarding, unsafe heating, unsafe smoking, arson advice, electrical overloading.
- Signposting to other organisations for support such as Age UK, Social Services, Citizens Advice.
- Installation of basic smoke, heat, and CO detection if necessary
- We can also assess to see if specialist equipment is required, such as hard of hearing detection, fire retardant bedding or fire-retardant spray.
- Our visits are Free of charge.
- We are happy to arrange joint visits with partners.
Our Safe and Well Visits are based on good will advice. It is up to the occupier to follow our suggestions and recommendations. We cannot enforce anyone to follow our guidance within their own home.
If you enter a referral on behalf of a client, please make sure you give as much relevant information as possible, including your contact details.
Always make sure the client is aware we will be contacting them and let them know that it could take a few weeks for us to make that initial contact.
Our website has a vast array of useful information. Please see below links to some relevant pages. If you are unable to find the answer to your question on our website, please contact