Date: 23rd October, 2018
With new students settling in to their new homes and new routines, and returning students getting back in to the swing of all things university and college, Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is encouraging them to have a think about their fire safety.
In support of a national fire safety campaign, Group Manager Damien Bence said: “With all the excitement and opportunity that university life brings, fire safety might not be at the top of your list of priorities; however, in amongst all your studying and socialising, taking a few moments to think about your accommodation, how you use it and what you might do to reduce any fire risks, might save your life.”
By following these top safety tips, you can help make sure that your student experience is a fire-safe one:
- Don’t leave cooking unattended and take extra care when frying with oil.
- Don’t cook if you’ve been drinking alcohol, especially late at night.
- Take extra care with cigarettes and other smoking materials and never smoke in bed. If you smoke, make sure you put your cigarette out, right out.
- Keep candles away from flammable surfaces or material that might burn – such as curtains, TVs, bath tubs – and never leave lit candles unattended.
- Don’t overload plug sockets and switch off electrical equipment such as chargers, hair straighteners and dryers overnight or when not in use.
- Make sure you and your housemates know your escape route, practise it and have a plan B in case your route is blocked.
- In the event of a fire, get out, stay out and call 999.
He added: “Each and every university or college has a person responsible for fire safety. If you spot a fire risk or have any concerns, then you should speak to them.”
Further fire safety advice can be found at www.dwfire.org.uk/safety