Date: 27th September, 2018
A fire that caused significant damage to a thatched property near Marlborough last night (26 September) is believed to have started accidentally.
Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service was called to Manton Drove, Granham at 7.23pm and found the roof of the detached house well alight.
Ten fire crews attended – from Marlborough, Pewsey, Ramsbury, Stratton, Swindon, Hungerford, Westlea, Devizes, Royal Wootton Bassett and Ludgershall – supported by an aerial appliance from Swindon, an incident command vehicle from Stratton, and water carriers from Pewsey and Andover. Further water carriers from Ramsbury and Wilton attended as relief crews, and a crew from Trowbridge provided a watching brief through the night.
The fire destroyed the roof and damaged much of the first floor of the property, although firefighters were able to salvage most of the owners’ possessions. Eight breathing apparatus wearers, three main jets and two hose reel jets were used, and the fire and rescue service’s drone capability was utilised to help check for hot spots.
Volunteers from the Plymouth Brethren attended at the scene to provide hot drinks and refreshments for the crews, and a team from the British Red Cross emergency response service attended to offer support to the homeowners.
Due to the firefighting operation, the A345 at Granham was closed until the early hours of the morning by Wiltshire Police and Wiltshire Council.