Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

16th January, 2020 - 19:04: A bus was found to be alight in the West Wilts Trading Estate. Crews f...Read more

16th January, 2020 - 11:41am: Oaksey, Malmesbury - A crew from Malmesbury rescued two adults from th...Read more

16th January, 2020 - 12:20pm: A36 Petersfinger - A crew from Salisbury attended a small fire involvi...Read more

16th January, 2020 - 02:23 AM : A crew have extinguished a small fire involving a refuse bin this morn...Read more

15th January, 2020 - 11:27 PM : 2 Appliances and an Officer are in attendance at an external flooding ...Read more

15th January, 2020 - 10:39 PM : 2 Appliances attended a fire involving a fridge freezer in the kitchen...Read more

15th January, 2020 - 9:37 PM : A crew attended a chip pan fire that was out on arrival, the residents...Read more

15th January, 2020 - 9:03 PM : Crews attended a report of a man that had driven his van into floodwat...Read more

15th January, 2020 - 9:29 PM : Whilst on route to incident involving a driver stuck in flood water cr...Read more

15th January, 2020 - 6:17 PM : A crew from Swanage attended a fire alarm this evening that had been m...Read more

Spate of kitchen fires in Poole trigger firefighters to issue safety warning


Date: 20th August, 2018

Poole firefighters have issued a safety warning after attending a number of kitchen fires in the area recently.

In the first quarter of 2018/19 crews from Poole attended eight fires in the kitchen, compared with two in the same quarter of 2017/18.Several of the recent fires started after oil or other items including clothing had been left on the hob, or appliances had been turned on and left unattended.

Poole Fire Station Manager Charlie Pack said: “We might be talking relatively small numbers here, but fires in the kitchen can be very dangerous. At any time of year, cooking related fires are a common cause of accidental fires in the home. They are often caused because the occupier becomes distracted by other things. Whatever happens elsewhere in the house, it is important to have one eye on the hob or oven when they are in use.

“It is important to check your smoke alarms weekly, so that you know they are working to give early warning to get out if the worst happens.”

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service has the following advice to prevent a fire occurring in your kitchen:

For further fire safety advice go to www.dwfire.org.uk

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: