Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

23rd June, 2022 - 8:24pm: Knightsdale Road, Weymouth - A crew from Weymouth station attended a c...Read more

23rd June, 2022 - 9:21pm: Limpley Stoke - Our crew from Trowbridge assisted Avon Fire & Resc...Read more

22nd June, 2022 - 3.01pm: At 3.01pm we received a call to a fire behind the Pavilion Theatre, We...Read more

22nd June, 2022 - 2.43pm: At 2.43pm we received a call to a fuel leak from a car outside the One...Read more

22nd June, 2022 - 2.41pm: At 2.41pm we received a call to alarms operating in a residential prop...Read more

22nd June, 2022 - 1.48pm: At 1.48pm we received a call to alarms activating in a residential pro...Read more

22nd June, 2022 - 1.46pm: At 1.46pm we received a call to alarms activating in a school in The S...Read more

22nd June, 2022 - 1.33pm: At 1.33pm we received a call to a cow stuck in the river near Beaconsf...Read more

22nd June, 2022 - 1.27pm: At 1.27pm we received a call to a wooden shed on fire in Clayford Aven...Read more

22nd June, 2022 - 1.24pm: At 1.24pm we received a call to alarms activating in a residential pro...Read more

Smokers reminded to ‘put it out, right out’


Date: 6th April, 2022

More people in Dorset and Wiltshire die in fires in the home caused by cigarettes and smoking products than any other cause.

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service has seen 11 fire deaths caused by accidental fires in the home resulting from smokers’ materials in the last five years, which was half of all fire fatalities across the Service area.

Not smoking while tired, using a proper and secure ashtray, and stubbing cigarettes out properly can greatly reduce the risk of an accidental fire starting. As part of the national Fire Kills campaign, the Service is now reminding smokers to ‘Put it Out, Right Out’ whenever they light up, and to have working smoke alarms on every level of the home.

These simple steps can help prevent a fire in the home if someone smokes:

Safe and Well Manager Vikki Thomas said: “Fires ignited by cigarettes or smoking materials result in more fatalities than any other type of fire in the home. Every smoker should be aware of the risks they take every time they light up indoors, especially in bed or under the influence of alcohol. The risk of falling asleep before you ‘put it out, right out’ is just too great.”

She added: “If you decide to use e-cigarettes instead, then please make sure you use the correct charger and don’t leave anything on charge overnight while you’re asleep. Most importantly, whether you smoke or not, make sure you have smoke alarms fitted and test them regularly.”

More safety information can be found online at www.dwfire.org.uk/smoking-and-e-cigarettes

If you have any fire safety concerns, you can request a free Safe & Well visit, where someone will visit you to help assess the fire risk in your home and offer support and guidance. Call free on 0800 038 2323 or apply online at www.dwfire.org.uk/safe-and-well-visits

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: