Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

15th November, 2019 - 3.36pm: One pump from Westbourne and two pumps from Poole were mobilised to a ...Read more

15th November, 2019 - 2.36pm: One pump from Stratton St. Margaret, one pump from Swindon and one pum...Read more

15th November, 2019 - 12.52pm: Two pumps from Chippenham, one pump from Malmesbury, water carrier fro...Read more

15th November, 2019 - 9.45am: One pump from Westlea and one pump from Stratton St. Margaret were mob...Read more

14th November, 2019 - 8.29pm: Easton Royal - Crews from the Pewsey fire station were mobilised to a ...Read more

14th November, 2019 - 7.49pm: Moreton - Crews from Bere Regis and Wareham fire stations were mobilis...Read more

14th November, 2019 - 2:52pm: Three appliances from Springbourne, Redhill Park and Christchurch were...Read more

14th November, 2019 - 08:19am: A crew from Trowbridge have rescued a cat which was stuck between two ...Read more

13th November, 2019 - 12:22 PM : A crew from Weymouth has attended a bin fire near the Kings Statue on ...Read more

13th November, 2019 - 10:01 AM : Crews have released 1 elderly female from a vehicle that had driven in...Read more

Safety warning after discarded barbecue causes fire


Date: 14th June, 2018

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people to take extra care when disposing of barbecues, after a fire in Lyme Regis on 9 June.

The car park attendant’s hut and an adjacent bin were destroyed after fire broke out in the bin shortly before 4am. A crew from Lyme Regis fire station attended and used two hose reel jets to extinguish the blaze.

It is believed that a disposable barbecue had been placed into the bin before it had cooled fully, and then smouldered for some hours before catching alight.

A Service spokesman said: “At this time of year, lots of people will be using barbecues and we urge them to take proper precautions to prevent the risk of fire. In Lyme Regis, there are designated bins for the safe disposal of barbecues, otherwise always ensure that coals are completely cold before being thrown away, ideally by damping down with water. You should never dispose of hot barbecue ashes in plastic rubbish bins, as this can easily start a fire.”

Other top tips for the safe use of barbecues include:

For more fire safety information, please visit www.dwfire.org.uk/safety

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: