Date: 15th August, 2019
Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people to take care when cooking, especially when late at night and tired.
Firefighters were called out at 1.41am this morning (15 August) for a kitchen fire caused by pizza and chips being put into the oven by the occupant, who then fell asleep.
Group Manager Katie Cornhill said: “This person was extremely fortunate that a neighbour saw smoke coming from the kitchen and raised the alarm, rousing them and also calling 999. There was smoke throughout the property, and this could have proved fatal had they not been woken up. We would urge anyone wanting a late night snack to either get a takeaway or not cook.”
The Service has the following top tips for staying safe in the kitchen:
- Avoid cooking if you are tired, have been drinking alcohol or are taking medication that leaves you drowsy.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Keep the oven, hob and grill clean as a build-up of fat or grease can catch fire when hot.
- Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob, and take care if you’re wearing loose clothing.
- Make sure children are never left alone in the kitchen when you’re cooking.
- Saucepan handles left sticking out create a danger – there’s a risk they could be caught, leading to the pans being knocked off the hob.
- Use spark devices to light gas cookers as they are safer than matches and lighters.
- Keep electrical leads and appliances away from water.
- Avoid using a chip pan – a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer is far safer, as it can’t overheat.
- Make sure you have working smoke alarms in the property and check them regularly.
More fire safety advice can be found at www.dwfire.org.uk/safety-at-home
Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service offers free Safe & Well visits. To see if you qualify, call 0800 038 2323 or visit www.dwfire.org.uk/safe-and-well-visits