Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

12th April, 2024 - 18.35: Bournemouth - At 18.25 this evening, control received several calls re...Read more

10th April, 2024 - 14.39pm: Calne - This afternoon control received a call from Police, regarding ...Read more

9th April, 2024 - 4.16pm: We were called to a restaurant in Easton Town, Sherston  for a well-de...Read more

9th April, 2024 - 7.30pm: We received multiple 999 calls with reports of a heath fire, affecting...Read more

8th April, 2024 - 1.01pm: We were called to the A303 at Chicklade, the junction with the A350 af...Read more

7th April, 2024 - 16:57: Crews are currently dealing with a heath fire on Talbot heath. Crews a...Read more

Reminder not to place batteries in bins


Date: 16th February, 2024

Wiltshire Council is reminding people that batteries should never be placed in bins following a recent fire at Trowbridge Household Recycling Centre (HRC).

On Monday 12 February, a fire started at Trowbridge HRC because a battery was placed in the scrap metal bin, but fortunately it was quickly extinguished.

Batteries or electrical items containing batteries must never be put in a bin including household bins and recycling containers at HRCs. When waste or recycling is collected, any batteries in the items are likely to be squashed, compacted, punctured, shredded or soaked in liquids.

All these processes increase the risk of fire or explosion, which threatens the safety of waste management staff and members of the public using HRCs.

Batteries and electricals containing rechargeable batteries can be easily recycled by:

Cllr Nick Holder, Cabinet Member for Environment, said: “It is really important that we all recycle batteries safely and never put them in the bin. Batteries which are put in bins are linked to hundreds of fires at waste facilities across the country every year, with the recent incident at Trowbridge recycling centre being an unfortunate example. Fortunately, and thanks to our colleagues in the fire service and our staff on site, the fire wasn’t more serious.

“It is easy to recycle batteries at home using our battery and small rechargeable electricals collection services. You can also recycle batteries at our recycling centres at the designated battery collection points.

“By recycling batteries responsibly, we can all play a role in preventing fires at our waste facilities and keeping our staff and the public safe.”

Group Manager Wayne Presley, from Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service, added: “When used properly, batteries aren’t dangerous, but they can present a fire risk when over-charged, short-circuited, submerged in water or damaged. Happily, this recent fire was quickly contained, but we have experienced significant incidents at waste sites in the past where batteries have been the cause. We would therefore urge everyone to follow the guidance on safe disposal and recycling.”

More information can be found at www.dwfire.org.uk/batteries

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: