Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

18th September, 2019 - 4.38pm: Chippenham - Two crews from the Chippenham fire station and a water ca...Read more

18th September, 2019 - 2:36pm: Crews from Devizes and Chippenham are currently in attendance at a roa...Read more

18th September, 2019 - 12:11pm: A crew from Christchurch attended a fire involving food in a microwave...Read more

18th September, 2019 - 11:32am: A crew from Trowbridge were mobilised to a domestic smoke alarm soundi...Read more

18th September, 2019 - 11:19am: Crews from Shaftesbury and Warminster are in attendance at a road traf...Read more

18th September, 2019 - 09:25: A crew from Devizes attended a tree fire in the wooded area off of Gro...Read more

16th September, 2019 - 07.10pm: One fire crew from Swindon Central have extinguished a fire involving ...Read more

16th September, 2019 - 3.16pm: Charlton All Saints - One crew from the Fordingbridge Fire station wer...Read more

16th September, 2019 - 3.11pm: Netheravon - One crew from the Salisbury fire station were mobilised t...Read more

16th September, 2019 - 9.25am: Salisbury - One crew from the Salisbury fire station were mobilised to...Read more

Reminder issued about working smoke alarms


Date: 10th January, 2019

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued a reminder about the importance of working smoke alarms.

The kitchen of a house in Seaward Avenue, Bournemouth was severely damaged by fire last night (9 January) after flammable items were left too close to the gas hob and ignited. The rest of the property was affected by smoke, and the occupant had to be taken to hospital as a precaution after breathing in smoke.

Firefighters from Christchurch, Springbourne and Westbourne were called to the property at 9.02pm and used four breathing apparatus wearers, two hose reel jets and a main jet to extinguish the blaze.

Station Manager Graham Kewley said: “The property didn’t have working smoke alarms, so the occupier was fortunate that this fire broke out while she was still awake, rather than later at night when she may well have been upstairs and asleep. Had that been the case, the outcome could have been far worse. Every home should have a working smoke alarm on every level, and these should be tested regularly.”

He added: “In this instance, while the fire damage was contained to the kitchen, the rest of the property was badly affected by smoke, which shows the importance of keeping internal doors closed. Nearly two thirds of all accidental dwelling fires in Dorset and Wiltshire last year started in the kitchen, and this incident shows just how easy it is for accidents to happen.”

The Fire and Rescue Service has the following kitchen safety advice:

The Service also provides free Safe and Well visits, which aim to make you safer in your own home. A member of staff will come to your home and provide you with bespoke home safety advice, covering areas such as the use of candles, cooking, electric blankets, overloading sockets, chimneys, low energy light bulbs and much more. They even fit or replace smoke alarms, if appropriate.

To request a free Safe & Well visit, call 0800 038 2323 or visit www.dwfire.org.uk/safety for more information and advice.

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: