Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

29th February, 2024 - 8.45pm: Two crews from Swanage and one from Wareham were called to High Street...Read more

28th February, 2024 - 5.12pm: At 5.12pm we received a call to alarms operating in a residential prop...Read more

28th February, 2024 - 4.59pm: At 4.59pm we received a call to alarms operating in a residential prop...Read more

28th February, 2024 - 4.39pm: At 4.39pm we received a call to alarms operating in a residential prop...Read more

28th February, 2024 - 4.06pm: At 4.06pm we received a call to water coming into an electrical socket...Read more

28th February, 2024 - 2.35pm: At 2.35pm we received a call to a fire in a domestic property in South...Read more

28th February, 2024 - 2.11pm: At 2.11pm we received a call to alarms operating in a domestic propert...Read more

28th February, 2024 - 12.58pm: At 12.58pm we received a call to alarms operating in a residential pro...Read more

28th February, 2024 - 12.56pm: At 12.56pm we received a call to alarms in a property in Stockton, nea...Read more

28th February, 2024 - 11.45am: We have been receiving calls to a fire seen in the area of Turbary Com...Read more

Know what to do in the event of a fire


Date: 11th January, 2024

An elderly couple were rescued from their smoke-filled home this morning (11 January) by Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service.

The couple were trapped in their first floor bedroom after an electrical fire broke out on the ground floor.

They were able to call 999 and were given fire survival guidance by the Fire Control call handler. This included shutting themselves in their bedroom, blocking the gap below the door with a blanket, and having wet towels to hold over their faces to protect them from smoke.

Four fire crews attended the property in Cheselbourne, from Dorchester and Blandford, and firefighters in breathing apparatus were able to fit the couple with fire escape hoods. This allowed them to be brought to safety through the house.

Station Manager Paul Webber said: “Despite what must have been a terrifying experience, this couple did everything they were told to by our Control room. This kept them safe until they could be rescued. Fire escape hoods have only been in use for a few years, but they were a vital part of bringing these people to safety.”

DWFRS is now urging people to think about what they would do in the event of a fire. Things to consider are:

More advice on bedtime routines, planning your escape and what to do in the event of a fire can be found at www.dwfire.org.uk/safety-at-home

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: