Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

15th December, 2018 - 12.39pm: West Ashton- Crews from Trowbridge and Westbury attended a road traffi...Read more

15th December, 2018 - 8.03am: Weymouth- A crew from Weymouth attended a bus shelter on fire on King ...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 5.07pm: One pump from Stratton St. Margaret was mobilised to a report of a roa...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 1:16pm: At 13:16 fire control took a 999 call to reports of smoke in a propert...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 11:29am: At 11:29 fire control took a 999 call to reports of a car that had gon...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 09:41am: At 09:41 fire control took a 999 call to reports of alarms sounding an...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 09:30am: At 09:30 we received a call to reports of two people stuck in a lift. ...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 07:42am: At 08:42 fire control took a 999 call to reports of a male stuck in a ...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 03:31am: One fire engine from Redhill fire station attended reports of a smoke ...Read more

13th December, 2018 - 10.05pm: Littleton, Semington - Appliances from Melksham and Trowbridge attende...Read more

Kitchen fire caused by nappy bag left on electric hob


Date: 20th October, 2018

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people not to leave items on top of their cookers.

The kitchen of a flat in Reeve Lane, Poundbury was severely damaged yesterday (19 October) after the electric hob was accidentally switched on, setting alight a nappy bag which had been left on it.

Two fire crews from Dorchester and one from Weymouth were called to the property at 5.19pm and used two breathing apparatus wearers and one hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze.

The occupants of the flat – a mother and two young children – escaped uninjured after being alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm.

Group Manager Richard Coleman said: “Nearly two thirds of all accidental dwelling fires in Dorset and Wiltshire last year started in the kitchen, and this incident shows just how easy it is for accidents to happen. The safest thing to do is never leave any items on the surface of your hob. Fortunately, this family had working smoke alarms and were able to call for help very quickly, so they suffered no harm and the damage was contained to the kitchen.”

The Fire and Rescue Service has the following kitchen safety advice:

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service provide free Safe and Well visits, which aim to make you safer in your own home. A member of DWFRS staff will come to your home and provide you with bespoke home safety advice, covering areas such as the use of candles, cooking, electric blankets, overloading sockets, chimneys, low energy light bulbs and much more. They even fit or replace smoke alarms, if appropriate.

To request a free Safe & Well visit, call 0800 038 2323 or visit www.dwfire.org.uk/safety for more information and advice.

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: