Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

19th February, 2019 - 16:33: 16:33 A crew from Salisbury was mobilised to alarms sounding at a Dome...Read more

19th February, 2019 - 11:49: 11:49 A crew from Corsham was mobilised to alarms actuating at a Publi...Read more

19th February, 2019 - 09:47: 09:47 A crew from Swanage was mobilised to alarms sounding at a Reside...Read more

19th February, 2019 - 6.04am: Swindon- Two crews from Stratton were mobilised to a road traffic coll...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 3:35pm: One crew from Swindon fire station attending a residential premises in...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 3:13pm: Three crews from Poole fire station together with the aerial ladder pl...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 2:05pm: Two crews from Swindon and Westlea attended a small kitchen fire, whic...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 1:16pm: One crew from Poole fire station attended a property in Garland Road a...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 12:51pm: One crew from Springbourne fire station attended a residential premise...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 12:12pm: Three crews from Swindon, Westlea and Stratton fire stations were mobi...Read more

Keep looking if you’re cooking – fire safety warning from Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service


Date: 1st October, 2018

DWFRS are using the National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC) Home Safety Week, from 1st-7th October, to remind the public to take care when cooking, after more than half of all accidental fires in the home last year started in the kitchen.

During 2017/18 DWFRS attended 787 accidental dwelling fires throughout Dorset and Wiltshire, with 62% of fires occurring in the kitchen area. Over half of those kitchen fires were caused by unsafe cooking practices; this includes leaving cooking unattended, leaving items too close to the cooker, chip pan fires and poor use\maintenance of cooking equipment.

Safe and Well Manager Vikki Thomas said “Cooking takes place in almost every home, every day. We want to remind members of the public that this every day activity can be really dangerous. Cookers should be left clear and turned off when you’re not cooking, if you have to leave the kitchen for any reason whilst cooking please take pans off the heat or turn them down. Finally, if you are unlucky enough to experience a fire, please get out of the house, stay out and call 999. Please remember to check your appliances regularly; ensuring they are clean and fit for purpose.”

Vikki added: “NFCC Home Safety Week is the perfect opportunity to take a look at the fire safety measures in your home, with fresh eyes. We recommend every home has a working smoke alarm on each level and this is tested once a week. DWFRS also suggest that heat alarms are fitted in areas like the kitchen to alert you to a fire and we will be fitting these as part of our Safe and Well visits going forward.”

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue provide free Safe and Well visits with aim of making you safer in your own home. These visits involve a member of DWFRS staff visiting the home and providing you with bespoke home safety advice on the use of candles, cooking, electric blankets, overloading sockets, chimneys, low energy light bulbs and much more. They even fit or replace smoke alarms, if appropriate. This is all free of charge with the aim of encouraging you to think about fire safety in the home. To request a free Safe & Well visit, or to find out more information about being safe at home, visit www.dwfire.org.uk/safety/safety-at-home

More cooking safety information:

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: