Date: 30th August, 2020
At 08.16am this morning, Fire Control received calls to a suspected property fire in Hereford Road, Weymouth.
One crew from Weymouth initially attended but on arrival found a fire in a first floor flat and requested support. At the height of this incident, fire crews were in attendance from Weymouth (x2) and Portland. Firefighters used four sets of breathing apparatus, two hose reels, one main line and a thermal imaging camera to extinguish the fire and check for hotspots.
Station Manager Sean Blizzard, who attended this incident said: “We believe this fire, which was contained to one room of the property, was caused by an unattended candle. There were working smoke alarms in the flat, without which this incident could have been far worse. The occupier was taken hospital by our ambulance service colleagues.”
The stop message was received at 08.58am but firefighters remained on scene until 9.45am supporting fire investigation work.