Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

19th December, 2018 - 11:36: A retained fire crew from Poole Fire Station were alerted to a car ali...Read more

18th December, 2018 - 22:05: 22:05 A crew from Swindon was mobilised to a small fire involving a ru...Read more

18th December, 2018 - 21:59: 21:59 A crew from Salisbury was mobilised to alarms sounding at a Resi...Read more

18th December, 2018 - 20:48: 20:48 A crew from Verwood was mobilised to alarms actuating a a Public...Read more

18th December, 2018 - 20:42: 20:42 A crew from Dorchester was mobilised to reports of a vehicle fir...Read more

18th December, 2018 - 19:55: 19:55 A  crew from Chippenham was mobilised to alarms sounding at a Re...Read more

18th December, 2018 - 19:35: 19:35 A crew from Ludgershall was mobilised to alarms sounding at a Do...Read more

17th December, 2018 - 5.41pm: Swindon- Crews from Westlea and Swindon attended a domestic fire on Sa...Read more

16th December, 2018 - 16:04: 16:04 A crew from Chippenham was mobilised to reports of a Chimney fir...Read more

16th December, 2018 - 15:07: 15:07 A crew from Swindon was mobilised to alarms actuating at a Resid...Read more

Fire Service and Electrical Safety First say that more needs to be done to keep people safe from electrical fires


Date: 22nd November, 2017

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service (DWFRS) and UK Charity, Electrical Safety First, are using this Electrical Fire Safety Week (20 to 26 November 2017) to raise awareness of the fire risk many electrical appliances in the home present.

Domestic electrical white goods, such as dishwashers, tumble dryers, and fridge freezers are still one of the leading causes of electrical fires in England.

While there has been a general drop in domestic fires, going from 33,280 in 2012-13 to 31,267 in 2015-16, the percentage with an electrical origin has consistently stayed at around half. Across England, there were a total of 18,375 electrical fires in 2015-16, causing 2,448 fatalities and injuries. That’s an average of 47 each week and seven a day.

Last year across Dorset and Wiltshire, there were 772 reported fires in the home, and of those, 136 of these were caused by faulty electrics. That is 17.6% of the total.  The main causes of these fires are product misuse and faulty appliances or installations.

DWFRS and Electrical Safety First have some simple tips to help people use the white goods in their homes safely:

Chief Executive at Electrical Safety First, Phil Buckle said: “Electricity is the cause of over half of all domestic house fires in England each year. Faulty appliances and installations along with the misuse of electricity are amongst the major causes of these electrical fires, leading to avoidable deaths and injuries. With more than five fires a day in England caused by white goods, the Government needs to take immediate action to reduce this figure.”

DWFRS Safe & Well Manager, Vikki Thomas said: “A high number of fires across Dorset and Wiltshire are caused by the misuse of electrical appliances and these can be easily prevented.  A house fire can have devastating and long term effects, not only destroying belongings and memories but also putting you and your loved ones at risk. We are urging everybody to follow our simple advice to help them to stay safe in their homes.”

For more advice and safety tips on protecting your home from electrical fires and accidents visit www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/saferhomes or search #SaferHomes on social media.

For more information on maintaining fire safety in your home, please visit www.dwfire.org.uk/safety or to see if you are eligible for a FREE Safe and Well visit, please call 0800 038 2323.

 

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: