Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

16th December, 2018 - 08:18: 08:18 A crew from Poole was mobilised to alarms sounding at a Resident...Read more

15th December, 2018 - 2.25pm: Trowbridge- Crews from Trowbridge and Bradford on Avon attended report...Read more

15th December, 2018 - 1.45pm: Winterborne Clenston- A crew from Blandford attended a car fire in Win...Read more

15th December, 2018 - 12.39pm: West Ashton- Crews from Trowbridge and Westbury attended a road traffi...Read more

15th December, 2018 - 8.03am: Weymouth- A crew from Weymouth attended a bus shelter on fire on King ...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 5.07pm: One pump from Stratton St. Margaret was mobilised to a report of a roa...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 1:16pm: At 13:16 fire control took a 999 call to reports of smoke in a propert...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 11:29am: At 11:29 fire control took a 999 call to reports of a car that had gon...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 09:41am: At 09:41 fire control took a 999 call to reports of alarms sounding an...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 03:31am: One fire engine from Redhill fire station attended reports of a smoke ...Read more

Fire risks highlighted by safety week campaign


Date: 26th September, 2016

 

The Chief Fire Officers’ Association is using UK Home Safety Week to highlight the risk of fire from home appliances.

The campaign – running from 26 September until 2 October – is being supported by the Association of Manufacturers of Domestic Appliances (AMDEA), which runs the website www.registermyappliance.org.uk

Vikki Thomas, acting Safe and Well Manager at Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Everyone should take a few minutes to register their domestic appliances, as this helps to reduce the risk of fires and provides peace of mind. The system gives manufacturers an accurate record of who owns particular makes and models so, in the event of a safety alert or product recall, they can ensure that the right information reaches the right people in good time.”

She added: “Nationally, the Fire and Rescue Service has seen far too many fires involving appliances that have been subject to a safety alert or product recall but the owner has been completely unaware of the danger. This scheme can only help to prevent such fires happening in the future.”

Other advice from the Fire and Rescue Service around the safe use of electrical appliances includes:

Another fire risk in the home involves chargers for mobile phones and other items, such as laptops, e-cigarettes and anything with a rechargeable battery.

Ms Thomas said: “A real issue can be the use of fake or unofficial chargers – these are often made with poor quality components that fail to meet UK safety regulations, which means they can catch fire.”

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service offers free Safe and Well home visits, which can include the provision of smoke alarms where appropriate. To request a visit, call 0800 038 2323.

A wide range of home fire safety advice can be found at www.dwfire.org.uk/safety-at-home

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: