Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

15th February, 2019 - 11.35pm: Ringstead - Crews from the Weymouth, Dorchester and a Water Carrier fr...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 6.38pm: A303 - One crew from the Devon and Somersets Wincanton fire station an...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 12:42pm: Three appliances from Chippenham, Corsham and Trowbridge attended a fi...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 12:26pm: Two appliances from Shaftesbury and Blandford are in attendance at a r...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 11:45am: Two appliances from Chippenham attended a fire in a first floor bedroo...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 11:34am: An appliance from Ferndown attended a vehicle fire in Medway Road. The...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 10:57am: Three appliances from Amesbury and Salisbury attended a fire involving...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 08:47am: A crew from Stratton are currently attending to a gas leak from a refr...Read more

14th February, 2019 - 7.36pm: Melksham - Crews from Melksham and Trowbridge attended a road traffic ...Read more

14th February, 2019 - 5.37pm: Bournemouth - Crews from Springbourne and Christchurch were called to ...Read more

Dorchester fire crews issue safety warning after call out to unattended fire


Date: 15th October, 2018

Firefighters at Dorchester are warning of the dangers of unattended fires as the weather turns colder, after they were called to an incident yesterday (Sunday 14th October).

At 4.32pm yesterday, two crews from Dorchester were called to Holloway Road in the town after reports of a smoke alarm activating and smoke issuing from a terraced house. On entering the property, crews found that the wood burning stove had been left lit when the occupier left the property. This had caused logs next to the stove to ignite.

Station Manager Simon Dennett said: “The occupiers of this property have had a lucky escape. In this case there was not much damage to the property, because the smoke alarm activated and alerted neighbours, but it could so easily have been a different story.

He added: “We continue to remind residents, especially as the weather turns colder, that if you light open fire or log burner please make sure it is fully extinguished before you leave them unattended. Please also think about what other flammable materials are around the fire or burner, such as logs or washing, as these could so easily catch light.”

Fire crews used hose reels and breathing apparatus to extinguish this fire and the stop message was received at 4.54pm. More information about fire safety in the home can be found on the DWFRS website – dwfire.org.uk The website also contains information on how to apply for a Safe and Well visit, where fire service staff can offer bespoke safety advice in your home as well as fitting free smoke alarms, if appropriate.

ENDS

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: