Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

15th February, 2019 - 11.35pm: Ringstead - Crews from the Weymouth, Dorchester and a Water Carrier fr...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 6.38pm: A303 - One crew from the Devon and Somersets Wincanton fire station an...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 12:42pm: Three appliances from Chippenham, Corsham and Trowbridge attended a fi...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 12:26pm: Two appliances from Shaftesbury and Blandford are in attendance at a r...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 11:45am: Two appliances from Chippenham attended a fire in a first floor bedroo...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 11:34am: An appliance from Ferndown attended a vehicle fire in Medway Road. The...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 10:57am: Three appliances from Amesbury and Salisbury attended a fire involving...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 08:47am: A crew from Stratton are currently attending to a gas leak from a refr...Read more

14th February, 2019 - 7.36pm: Melksham - Crews from Melksham and Trowbridge attended a road traffic ...Read more

14th February, 2019 - 5.37pm: Bournemouth - Crews from Springbourne and Christchurch were called to ...Read more

Dogs rescued from house fire


Date: 5th April, 2016

Three dogs were rescued from a house in Pewsey earlier today (5 April) after fire broke out in the living room.

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service was called to the detached property in Bramley Close at 2.47pm, after a neighbour heard the smoke alarm sounding.

Two crews attended, from Pewsey and Marlborough, and two breathing apparatus wearers used one hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze.

An investigation concluded that the fire started accidentally, after sunlight reflected off a magnifying glass and set light to the curtains.

Station Manager Mike Bagnall said: “The prompt actions of the neighbour in raising the alarm meant that crews were able to save the family pets and also prevent the fire from spreading beyond the living room. Had the smoke alarm not been working, the outcome could have been much different.”

He added: “This is the second incident in a week that I’ve attended where the fire has started because of reflected sunlight. Where you have a mirror or any other glass object, such as an ornament, that is curved, this allows the glass to act as a lens. When the sunlight hits it, it becomes concentrated and, if the rays are bounced onto something flammable – such as curtains or soft furnishings – then a fire can start. It does depend on the angle of the sun, but any mirror or glass ornament with a curve in it should never be left on a windowsill or by a window.”

For more advice on home fire safety, visit www.dwfire.org.uk/safety-at-home

 

 

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: