Date: 20th October, 2017
Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is currently inspecting over 40 properties in Walpole Road, Bournemouth after a power surge apparently sparked faults in electrical consumer units.
The first calls were received shortly after 6.30pm (20 October), with crews from Redhill Park and Springbourne called to a property that had filled with smoke. Together with a crew from Westbourne, they are now investigating similar issues in homes along the street, with residents being asked to move to safety outside until the checks are complete.
The road has been closed as a precaution, and Dorset Police and the British Red Cross emergency response volunteers are on scene to support the evacuation and help those affected – the Service is also working with Bournemouth Borough Council on contingency plans. Engineers from the electricity board are on site to isolate the affected electric supplies and make repairs as necessary.
Also believed to be connected to the same power surge is a roof fire at a block of flats in Hamilton Road, which is being tackled by crews from Christchurch (two), Poole (three), Ferndown, New Milton (two), Swanage and Ringwood, together with the aerial appliance from Westbourne and a support unit from Hamworthy.
Since the 999 call received at 6.46pm, everyone from the flats has been accounted for, and the fire is now contained, although crews are expected to remain on scene for some time.