Date: 22nd October, 2023
Description: Two fire crews from Springbourne and Redhill Park attended a report of a house fire in Wordsworth Avenue this afternoon. On arrival they located a fire involving the oven of the kitchen on the ground floor of a domestic property. The fire was quickly extinguished and firefighters made the area safe. Top tips for cooking safely
- Keep the oven, hob and grill clean as a build-up of fat or grease can catch fire when hot.
- Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob, and take care if you’re wearing loose clothing.
- Make sure children are never left alone in the kitchen when you’re cooking.
- Saucepan handles left sticking out create a danger – there’s a risk they could be caught, leading to the pans being knocked off the hob.
- Use spark devices to light gas cookers as they are safer than matches and lighters.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Keep electrical leads and appliances away from water.
- Avoid cooking if you are tired, have been drinking alcohol or are taking medication that leaves you drowsy.
Location: Wordsworth Avenue, Bournemouth, UK