Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

8th August, 2020 - 3.33am: One pump from Blandford was mobilised to a report of a fire in the ope...Read more

7th August, 2020 - 7.32pm: Two pumps from Weymouth were mobilised to a report of a road traffic c...Read more

7th August, 2020 - 7.38pm: Pumps from Redhill and Westbourne were mobilised to an alarm activatin...Read more

7th August, 2020 - 7.18pm: One pump from Wareham was mobilised to a report of a bin fire on Trini...Read more

6th August, 2020 - 9pm: Shrewton -  Crews from Amesbury, Salisbury (pump and aerial ladder pla...Read more

6th August, 2020 - 8pm: Brinkworth - Crews from Royal Wootton Bassett, Swindon, Westlea and Tr...Read more

6th August, 2020 - 10.53am: Seatown - Crews from the Bridport and Lyme Regis fire stations were mo...Read more

6th August, 2020 - 6.41am: Swindon - Multiple crews were mobilised to a report of a burst drain a...Read more

4th August, 2020 - 7.38pm: Crew from Springbourne mobilised to a fire in the skate park area exti...Read more

4th August, 2020 - 7.05pm: Stourpaine - At 1905 fire control received calls to a fire involving s...Read more

Wake up to the deadly risk: Smoking is the biggest cause of fire in the home


Date: 4th April, 2019

Smokers are being warned that they must wake up to the deadly dangers of smoking, especially when tired, as Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service – as part of the Fire Kills campaign – highlights that cigarettes and other smoking products cause just over a third of all accidental fire fatalities in the home.

Smoking is the single biggest cause of accidental fires in the home, often because of careless behaviour such as smoking in bed or not taking care after drinking alcohol – and, when smokers fall asleep with a lit cigarette in hand, their proximity to the resulting fire seriously lowers their chance of making an escape.

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding smokers to ‘Put it Out, Right Out’ whenever they light up; to install smoke alarms on every level of the home; and, to test them regularly. Without a working smoke alarm you are at least seven times more likely to die in an accidental fire in the home.

These simple steps can help prevent a cigarette fire in the home:

Safe and Well Manager Vikki Thomas said: “Every five days, someone dies from a fire caused by cigarettes or smoking materials. Despite a fall in the overall number of fires caused by these products, it’s still the biggest cause of accidental fires in the home across the country.

“Every smoker should wake up to the risks they take every time they light up, and drop the habit of smoking whilst in bed or under the influence of alcohol. The risk of falling asleep before you ‘put it out, right out’ is just too great.”

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: