Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

24th November, 2017 - 10.01am: Crew from Poole attended a domestic property following reports of a sm...Read more

23rd November, 2017 - 21:18: At 21:18 we received a call to a property full of smoke where the alar...Read more

23rd November, 2017 - 3:39pm: Springbourne were called to Holdenhurst Road at 3:39pm to a bin fire i...Read more

23rd November, 2017 - 1:35pm: 1:35pm Warminster and Westbury at a bin fire on George Street, Warmins...Read more

23rd November, 2017 - 11:23: 11:23am 2 crews from Christchurch are at an RTC on Grange Road, the ca...Read more

23rd November, 2017 - 10:26am: 10:26am Hamworthy and Poole Tech Rescue went to a horse stuck over a s...Read more

23rd November, 2017 - 8:16am: At 8:16am 2 pumps from Trowbridge, one from Melksham and one from West...Read more

21st November, 2017 - 08:55am: Crews from Swindon, Stratton, Westlea attended a confirmed fire in the...Read more

19th November, 2017 - 5.41pm: Salisbury - Two crews from Salisbury have attended a domestic property...Read more

19th November, 2017 - 06.08am: Crew from Devizes attended an electricity pole fire.  Crew stood by an...Read more

Electrical

Electrical problems account for many fires in agricultural properties. Here are a few common issues that we find:

Batteries

An exploding battery can be catastrophic. Battery charging should always be carried out in well ventilated areas, away from naked flame or sparks.

Domestic appliances

It’s not uncommon to see old domestic appliances such as washing machines and driers used on the farm or in stable blocks. Always site such appliances in areas away from flammable materials (such as straw or hay), and don’t dry rugs, tack etc next to fires. All portable appliances should be subject to an annual portable appliance test by a qualified electrician.

Electrical sockets and wiring

Potential fire risks can include:

Always:

High voltage electricity lines

High voltage electricity lines are not insulated. High voltage lines (over 1,000 volts) can be easily identified – they are arranged horizontally, while low voltage (under 1,000 volts) will be vertical. For your safety, always avoid using ladders, hoses or anything else conductive near them.

Lighting and dust

Lights such as halogen bulbs can become hot in places where cobwebs and dust can build up. Very fine fuels, such as dust and cobwebs, will ignite easily and may dislodge other dust, which in turn catches fire. Be cautious with other lights and electrical items that are in direct contact with dust or other flammable materials, such as bales of hay or straw.

Always use bulkhead type lighting and ensure that fluorescent lights have covers on to protect from dust. Clean dust and cobwebs as part of your maintenance plan.

Untidiness

Untidiness in work areas where welding or grinding takes place could cause a spark to smoulder before becoming a major blaze. Keep work areas clean and have some firefighting measure in case of an accidental fire, such as a hose or fire extinguisher.

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: