As part of the selection process, we will assess your fitness and strength at a practical assessment day held in Dorset or Wiltshire, depending on your location.
To help you prepare for this, you will also be issued with a Preparatory Fitness Programme, developed by FireFit, which offers guidance on physical training preparation for these tests.
At the practical assessment day, you will be asked to undertake a range of practical tests and you will need to pass them in order to proceed to the next stage.
A brief explanation of each test is given below. At the end of the day, you will be informed of your results and given feedback about your performance.
- Ladder exercises – to assess your upper and lower body strength, grip, coordination, confidence at heights and the ability to follow instructions.
- Casualty evacuation – assesses upper and lower body strength and coordination.
- Breathing apparatus in enclosed space – assesses confidence, agility and stamina and identifies any claustrophobic tendencies.
- Equipment assembly – this is a physical test of manual dexterity.
- Equipment carry – assesses upper and lower body strength, co-ordination and stamina.
Next stage: Medical