Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

24th September, 2017 - 04.02am: Crews from Westlea and Swindon attended reports of a freezer fire in a...Read more

24th September, 2017 - 01.57am: Crew from Corsham extinguished a car fire using 2 hose reel jets and 2...Read more

24th September, 2017 - 01.54am: Crews from Swindon attended a kitchen fire in a mid-terraced 2-storey ...Read more

23rd September, 2017 - 10.35pm: Crew from Salisbury extinguished a small fire located off the Wilton R...Read more

23rd September, 2017 - 9.39pm: Crew from Corsham extinguished a small fire involving hedge cuttings u...Read more

23rd September, 2017 - 8.47pm: Crew from Chippenham attended a small fire in the open out on arrival ...Read more

23rd September, 2017 - 7.18pm: Crew from Redhill Park mobilised to reports of a kitchen fire in a dom...Read more

23rd September, 2017 - 5.08pm: Crews from Charmouth, Lyme Regis, Axminster, Bridport, Maiden Newton a...Read more

23rd September, 2017 - 2.09pm: Royal Wootton Bassett- A crew from Westlea attended a small vehicle on...Read more

23rd September, 2017 - 12.07pm : Swindon- A crew from Swindon attended a small fire in the open in Lide...Read more

Student accommodation

#WelcomeToLifeAtUni

There are things you can do to improve your safety and security as a student, especially if you’re moving into new accommodation.

Every year, around 350 18-24 year olds are injured in accidental house fires started by cigarettes, smoking materials and cooking. Therefore, you need to make sure that you’re familiar with the basics of fire and gas safety, as well as home and personal security.

By taking a few sensible precautions, you can help protect yourself from injury – or worse:

If you live in halls of residence

All universities and colleges have a person responsible for fire safety. If you have any concerns or questions about fire safety in halls – for example, you’ve spotted a fire risk – speak to them.

If you are disabled and would need assistance if there was a fire, let the university or college health & safety officer know when you arrive.

You should also check what the fire safety rules are (such as any ban on candles in rooms), pay attention to fire drills and never ignore alarms.

Privately rented accommodation

If you live in a private house or flat, make sure it’s fitted with smoke alarms on each level of the property – and that they are tested regularly.

Check that your escape route is clear. For example, make sure there are no bikes blocking your exit in the hallway, and be aware of any windows that are barred.

You can request a Safe and Well visit by clicking here.

Gas and carbon monoxide safety

If you’re renting privately, your landlord must ensure that all gas appliances are checked once a year by a Gas Safe registered installer.

Your landlord must also show you the safety certificates for all the gas appliances in your property.

Faulty gas appliances are one of the main causes of carbon monoxide poisoning. Remember, you can’t see, smell or hear carbon monoxide.

For more information on domestic gas installation and health & safety, visit the Gas Safe website.

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: