There are certain winter preparations you can make to your vehicle as well as precautions you can take before travelling.
Make sure that you have an emergency kit in your car. This should include:
- Ice scraper and de-icer
- Warm clothes and blankets – for you and all passengers
- Torch and spare batteries – or a wind-up torch
- Food and a flask with a hot drink
- Any medication you need to take regularly
- First aid kit
- Jump leads
- A shovel
- Road atlas
- Sunglasses (the glare from winter sun can be dazzling)
- Car charger for your mobile phone
Is your vehicle ready for winter?
Check that your vehicle is ready for winter using the POWDERY checklist as a good reminder:
PETROL (or diesel). Have you got enough? Do you know where to fill up?
OIL – check levels once a month
WATER – check radiator, screenwash and anti-freeze levels regularly
DAMAGE – check wipers, lights etc for signs of wear and tear or damage
ELECTRICS – check lights, indicators and controls are working properly
RUBBER TYRES – are they well inflated, legal, with good tread and free from damage?
YOURSELF – are you fit to drive? Have you slept well? Are you taking any medication(s) that could make it unsafe for you to drive?