However remote the risk seems it pays to be prepared.
Every year, wildfires burn in the UK and more people live where wildfires are a risk. By working together, residents can make their own property and that of their neighbourhoods safer from the risk of wildfires.
Firewise Communities is an international programme based on research by the world’s leading fire experts on ignition of homes from wildfire. The programme encourages communites to work together to reduce the risk to homes from wildfire by taking practical steps in the area around the home and garden.
Some of the benefits of being a Firewise Community are:
- Makes your own home and neighbours more resilient to wildfire
- Helps to build community resilience and good citizenship
- Communities are proactive in reducing their risk from wildfires
- Communities learn more about wildfire
- Gives the community a plan to work to
- Creates opportunities to connect with Firewise Communities in other areas and countries
If you think your community would benefit from being part of this international programme, or to find out more information, please contact the Urban Heaths Partnership on: 01202 642787.