If fire breaks out on land near your home, your priority must be to keep safe:
- Phone 999, ask for the fire service, then give the Control operator as much information as possible, including exact location and nearest access point.
- Pack your essentials into a bag or box.
- Check on any neighbours who may need assistance and/or reassurance.
- Don’t try and tackle the fire yourself.
- Don’t expose yourself to smoke, as this can be very dangerous to your health.
- Follow all advice and guidance from the emergency services or local authority. If in doubt, GET OUT – and follow your evacuation plan.