Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

26th June, 2017 - 11:15pm: Crews from Trowbridge and Bradford on Avon went to a property on Navig...Read more

26th June, 2017 - 9:23pm: One crew from Christchurch went to Redhill Park to the basketball cour...Read more

26th June, 2017 - 8:51pm: One crew from Westbourne were called to rubbish on fire in Kings Park,...Read more

26th June, 2017 - 8:41pm: One crew from Springbourne attended a small fire in bushes on Hawkwood...Read more

26th June, 2017 - 8:33pm: One crew from Salisbury went to a small fire on Bemerton Heath, rubbis...Read more

26th June, 2017 - 8:13pm: One crew from Wimborne were called to a small grass fire on Corfe Lodg...Read more

26th June, 2017 - 7:38pm: 2 crews went to a small fire on wasteground by the underpass. Fire was...Read more

26th June, 2017 - 7:19pm: One crew from Weymouth were called to a car fire on West Street, Chick...Read more

26th June, 2017 - 5:49pm: One crew from Christchurch attended the skatepark where three small fi...Read more

26th June, 2017 - 03:12pm: Two crews from Trowbridge were called to an electricity pole on fire i...Read more

Wake up to the deadly risk: Smoking is the biggest fire killer


Date: 4th April, 2017

Did you know that a third of all deaths in house fires are caused by cigarettes?

Smoking is the single biggest killer in accidental fires in the home, often because of careless behaviour such as smoking in bed or not taking care after drinking alcohol. Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service (DWFRS) is reminding smokers that they must wake up to the deadly dangers of smoking, especially when tired.

When smokers fall asleep with a lit cigarette in hand, their proximity to the resulting fire seriously lowers their chance of making an escape.

DWFRS is reminding smokers to ‘Put it Out, Right Out!’ whenever they light up; to install smoke alarms on every level of the home; and, to test them monthly. If you don’t have any working smoke alarms you are at least seven times more likely to die in an accidental fire in the home.

These simple steps can help prevent a cigarette fire in the home:

Head of Prevention, Lorraine Hunt, said: “Every six days, someone dies from a fire caused by cigarettes or smoking materials. Despite a fall in the overall number of fires caused by these products, it’s still the biggest killer in accidental fires in the home across the country.

“Every smoker should wake up to the risks they take every time they light up, and drop the habit of smoking whilst in bed or under the influence of alcohol. The risk of falling asleep before you ‘put it out, right out’ is just too great.

“Make sure you have at least one working smoke alarm on every level of your home and test them monthly. Working smoke alarms can give you the extra time you need to escape if the worst should happen.”

You can find out more about the dangers of fire caused by smoking at www.dwfire.org.uk

results found.