Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

15th February, 2019 - 11.35pm: Ringstead - Crews from the Weymouth, Dorchester and a Water Carrier fr...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 6.38pm: A303 - One crew from the Devon and Somersets Wincanton fire station an...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 12:42pm: Three appliances from Chippenham, Corsham and Trowbridge attended a fi...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 12:26pm: Two appliances from Shaftesbury and Blandford are in attendance at a r...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 11:45am: Two appliances from Chippenham attended a fire in a first floor bedroo...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 11:34am: An appliance from Ferndown attended a vehicle fire in Medway Road. The...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 10:57am: Three appliances from Amesbury and Salisbury attended a fire involving...Read more

15th February, 2019 - 08:47am: A crew from Stratton are currently attending to a gas leak from a refr...Read more

14th February, 2019 - 7.36pm: Melksham - Crews from Melksham and Trowbridge attended a road traffic ...Read more

14th February, 2019 - 5.37pm: Bournemouth - Crews from Springbourne and Christchurch were called to ...Read more

Swindon family saved by working smoke alarms


Date: 24th September, 2017

A Swindon family were saved by working smoke alarms early this morning (24 September) after fire broke out in their house.

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service was called to the property on Crombey Street at 1.54am, with two crews from Swindon fire station being mobilised.

The fire was located in the ground floor kitchen, having started when cooking was left unattended. The smoke triggered the property’s smoke alarm, allowing the five occupants to escape without injury – four children were led to safety by firefighters.

Group Manager Seth Why, Head of Fire Safety for Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The attending crews reported that the house had working battery operated smoke detectors, which activated and raised the alarm. There was already a lot of smoke from the fire and that could have been a serious risk to life had the family not been woken up.”

He added: “Crews safely extinguished the fire wearing breathing apparatus and using hosereel jets, while ventilation fans were used to clear the house of smoke.  Although this fire was relatively small, there was still a real danger to the occupants because of the smoke. Leaving cooking unattended is never a good idea, as it can easily escalate to a fire, so we would remind people to not get distracted and take care while in the kitchen.”

Evidence shows that you are more than twice as likely to die in a fire at home if you haven’t got a working smoke alarm. Smoke alarms are the easiest way to alert you to the danger of fire, giving you precious time to escape. They are cheap, easy to get hold of, and simple to install.

To keep your smoke alarms in good working order, you should:

For more home fire safety advice, or to request a free Safe & Well visit, visit www.dwfire.org.uk/safety-at-home

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: