Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

15th December, 2018 - 1.45pm: Winterborne Clenston- A crew from Blandford attended a car fire in Win...Read more

15th December, 2018 - 12.39pm: West Ashton- Crews from Trowbridge and Westbury attended a road traffi...Read more

15th December, 2018 - 8.03am: Weymouth- A crew from Weymouth attended a bus shelter on fire on King ...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 5.07pm: One pump from Stratton St. Margaret was mobilised to a report of a roa...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 1:16pm: At 13:16 fire control took a 999 call to reports of smoke in a propert...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 11:29am: At 11:29 fire control took a 999 call to reports of a car that had gon...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 09:41am: At 09:41 fire control took a 999 call to reports of alarms sounding an...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 09:30am: At 09:30 we received a call to reports of two people stuck in a lift. ...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 07:42am: At 08:42 fire control took a 999 call to reports of a male stuck in a ...Read more

14th December, 2018 - 03:31am: One fire engine from Redhill fire station attended reports of a smoke ...Read more

Reminder on smoke alarms following Warminster house fire


Date: 18th December, 2017

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people of the importance of working smoke alarms, following a fire in Warminster this morning.

Firefighters were called to a semi-detached house in Southleigh View at 9.18am and found the ground floor kitchen alight. A young woman within the house had taken refuge in a first floor bedroom and was brought to safety by ladder, while a Doberman dog rescued unconscious from the property was resuscitated.

Three crews were sent to the scene, from Warminster, Westbury and Trowbridge, and four breathing apparatus wearers used two hose reel jets to extinguish the blaze. Fire damage was contained to the kitchen, but the whole house suffered severe smoke damage.

A fault in an electric toaster has been identified as the most likely cause of the fire.

Station Manager Darren Nixon said: “The property didn’t have working smoke alarms so, had this fire started at night, the outcome could have been far worse. Colleagues in Fire Control were able to advise the young woman in the house, making sure she closed the door of the bedroom and blocked the gap with bedding. They then made sure that she was by the window so that firefighters could carry out an immediate rescue on arrival.”

He added: “There was a great joint effort with Wiltshire Police and South Western Ambulance Service to help the family dog, getting it resuscitated and transported to the local vet for treatment.”

For further information about smoke alarms and staying safe in the home, visit www.dwfire.org.uk/safety

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: