Date: 20th October, 2017
With new students settling in to their new homes and routines, and returning students getting back in to the swing of all things, Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service (DWFRS) is encouraging all students to have a think about their fire safety this Student Fire Safety Week (23-29 October).
Education for All Manager, Yasmine Ellis, said: “With all the excitement and opportunity that university life brings, fire safety might not be at the top of your list of priorities. However, in amongst all the studying and socialising, taking a few moments to think about your accommodation, how you use it and what you can do to reduce any fire risks.”
To help make sure your student experience is a fire-safe one, DWFRS has put together these top fire safety tips:
- Don’t leave cooking unattended and take extra care when frying with oil
- Don’t cook if you’ve been drinking alcohol, especially late at night
- If you smoke, make sure you put your cigarette out, right out
- Keep candles away from flammable surfaces or material that might burn – such as curtains, TVs, bath tubs – and never leave lit candles unattended
- Don’t overload plug sockets and switch off electrical equipment such as chargers, hair straighteners and blow dryers when not in use
- Make sure you know your escape routes and have a plan ‘B’ in case your route is blocked
- In the event of a fire, get out, stay out and call 999
Yasmine Ellis added, “Each and every university or college has a person responsible for fire safety. If you spot a fire risk or have any concerns then you should speak to them.”
For more information on maintaining fire safety when at college or university, please visit https://www.dwfire.org.uk/safety/safety-at-home/student-accomodation/ or call 0800 038 2323.