Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

22nd May, 2022 - 3.13pm: Having received over 140 ‘999’ calls relating to a fire at Canford Hea...Read more

22nd May, 2022 - 6.42pm: Ferndown - Ferndown crew were initially mobilised to a domestic fire a...Read more

21st May, 2022 - 15:27: A crew from Westbourne were mobilised to alarms actuating at a Residen...Read more

21st May, 2022 - 15:02: A crew from Ferndown were mobilised to a Fire involving rubber matting...Read more

21st May, 2022 - 11:34: A crew from Salisbury were mobilised to assist an 80 year old Female w...Read more

21st May, 2022 - 09:48: 09:48 A crew from Gillingham were mobilised to assist with an elderly ...Read more

21st May, 2022 - 10:01: 10:01 A crew from Lyme Regis were mobilised to alarms sounding at a Re...Read more

21st May, 2022 - 08:48: 08:48 Crews from Swindon and Stratton were mobilised to a Fire at a Do...Read more

21st May, 2022 - 09:23: 09:23 A crew from Swanage were mobilised to alarms actuating at a Resi...Read more

21st May, 2022 - 09:28: 09:28 A crew from Redhill Park were mobilised to alarms sounding at a ...Read more

Large fire at landfill site now extinguished

Date: 28th April, 2022

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service has now left the landfill site in Compton Bassett, near Calne, which was affected by a large fire yesterday (27 April).

The Service was called to the site at 5.05am on Wednesday and, on arrival, found a a stack of approx. 40,000 tonnes of waste well alight.

At the height of the incident, there were around 40 firefighters in attendance, although this was scaled back by the afternoon. Crews from Melksham and then Stratton provided a watching brief overnight, and a crew from Bradford on Avon and a water carrier from Pewsey were on scene from early light this morning (28 April) to continue working with site staff to break down the waste stack and smother the affected area with soil to extinguish the fire.

The stop came at 10.45am and all Service personnel have now left the scene.

Station Manager Dave Geddes, the incident commander, said: “Thanks to the hard work of our firefighters and the on-site staff, really good progress was made yesterday in containing this fire, and today we have been able to fully cover the affected area with earth and get it capped off. There may still be some smoke rising from the site as everything settles, but the site team are happy that it is safe.”

He added: “There has been a fire investigation but, due to the size of the affected waste stack, we have been unable to determine an exact cause, beyond being satisfied that it started accidentally.”

results found.

Post Holders: