Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

18th February, 2019 - 3:35pm: One crew from Swindon fire station attending a residential premises in...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 3:13pm: Three crews from Poole fire station together with the aerial ladder pl...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 2:05pm: Two crews from Swindon and Westlea attended a small kitchen fire, whic...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 1:16pm: One crew from Poole fire station attended a property in Garland Road a...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 12:51pm: One crew from Springbourne fire station attended a residential premise...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 12:12pm: Three crews from Swindon, Westlea and Stratton fire stations were mobi...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 11:05am: One crew from Chippenham and one crew from Trowbridge attended Queens ...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 9:58am: One crew from Swindon and two crew from Stratton attended alarms opera...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 9.18am: One crew from Weymouth fire station attended a property in St Lawrence...Read more

18th February, 2019 - 8:15am: One appliance from Beaminster fire station attended reports of a chimn...Read more

Fire caused by overheated e-cigarette charger


Date: 9th October, 2018

An overheated e-cigarette battery charging unit is believed to have been the cause of a fire at a house in Christchurch yesterday evening (8 October).

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service was called to the property in Station Road at 7.17pm, where a first floor bedroom was affected by fire.

Two fire crews from Christchurch tackled the blaze, using four breathing apparatus wearers and two hose reel jets. The occupiers of the house escaped without injury, having been alerted by their smoke alarm.

Station Manager Graham Kewley said: “It’s not clear whether the charger was faulty, the batteries had been fitted into it incorrectly, or there was some other issue; however, we would always advise that any item fitted with a rechargeable battery should never be left unattended while charging. Fortunately, the damage to the property was limited, as the bedroom door was kept closed, and the family had working smoke alarms.”

The following advice should always be followed by e-cigarette users:

For more advice on the safe use of e-cigarettes, visit www.dwfire.org.uk/smoking-and-e-cigarettes

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: