The aim of Fire Cadets is to support the development of young people, enabling them to experience something new by participating in a wide range of practical and theoretical activities in a unique firefighting-based environment.
The next Dorset programme will be delivered to Cadets aged 13-18 years old at Hamworthy fire station on a Monday evening from September 2019 until July 2020 (excluding school holidays). Please click on this link for the recent press release.
The programme is delivered by specially trained and DBS-checked staff and volunteers. It is designed to be fun, but it also challenges and develops the participants and supports their school and home lives by getting them to:
- Work co-operatively within a team environment
- Gain self-esteem and self-confidence
- Improve communication skills
- Adopt a new set of personal values
- Understand the importance of safety issues and the consequences of anti-social behaviour
- Learn about fire and road safety
- Consider their community and/or a local charity and give up some free time fund-raise
- Develop practical skills
- Improve levels of fitness
- Create or add to a portfolio of achievements
The scheme is evaluated by the students and instructors – feedback is reviewed and acted upon to ensure the scheme develops year on year.
Follow the Cadets on Facebook – www.facebook.com/DorsetFireCadetsDWFRS