Emergency? Call 999

For general enquiries

Contact Us

Latest Incidents

31st July, 2021 - 13.25: Two fire crews are currently in attendance on the A35 Puddletown Bypas...Read more

31st July, 2021 - 08.10: A fire crew from Christchurch responded to an alarm activation at a re...Read more

31st July, 2021 - 07.50: Fire crews from Westbourne, Springbourne and Redhill Park responded to...Read more

30th July, 2021 - 10.01pm: Christchurch - Call from Police for a single vehicle road traffic coll...Read more

30th July, 2021 - 7.29pm: Bournemouth - Crews from Redhill Park and Westbourne used a hose reel ...Read more

28th July, 2021 - 11:16am: Crews from Pewsey, Marlborough and Devizes were mobilised to a report ...Read more

27th July, 2021 - 9:01pm: Fire domestic - Bournemouth. Two crews from Springbourne and Redhill P...Read more

27th July, 2021 - 9:52pm: Gallows Hill - Three crews from Wareham and Bere Regis are in attendan...Read more

27th July, 2021 - 14:57: RWB, Westlea and Swindon attended an RTC in Thornhill. 2 casualties as...Read more

27th July, 2021 - 10:03: 2 x crews from Chippenham and a nearby MOD appliance attended an RTC o...Read more

Electrical

Electrical problems account for many fires in agricultural properties. Here are a few common issues that we find:

Batteries

An exploding battery can be catastrophic. Battery charging should always be carried out in well ventilated areas, away from naked flame or sparks.

Domestic appliances

It’s not uncommon to see old domestic appliances such as washing machines and driers used on the farm or in stable blocks. Always site such appliances in areas away from flammable materials (such as straw or hay), and don’t dry rugs, tack etc next to fires. All portable appliances should be subject to an annual portable appliance test by a qualified electrician.

Electrical sockets and wiring

Potential fire risks can include:

Always:

High voltage electricity lines

High voltage electricity lines are not insulated. High voltage lines (over 1,000 volts) can be easily identified – they are arranged horizontally, while low voltage (under 1,000 volts) will be vertical. For your safety, always avoid using ladders, hoses or anything else conductive near them.

Lighting and dust

Lights such as halogen bulbs can become hot in places where cobwebs and dust can build up. Very fine fuels, such as dust and cobwebs, will ignite easily and may dislodge other dust, which in turn catches fire. Be cautious with other lights and electrical items that are in direct contact with dust or other flammable materials, such as bales of hay or straw.

Always use bulkhead type lighting and ensure that fluorescent lights have covers on to protect from dust. Clean dust and cobwebs as part of your maintenance plan.

Untidiness

Untidiness in work areas where welding or grinding takes place could cause a spark to smoulder before becoming a major blaze. Keep work areas clean and have some firefighting measure in case of an accidental fire, such as a hose or fire extinguisher.

results found.

Name:
Post Holders:
Grade: